debbie millman

Monday, February 13, 2006

Poem: Pretending

I looked at Meredith and thought
Is this what I feel like?
I looked for the calibration, the direction in.

I squinted.
The timbre gave her away and I watched
waiting for a clue, anything to give life

to the empty.
I thought:
It is wrong to borrow this.


Anonymous Dora said...

Hi Debbie,
My name is Dora and I met you earlier tonight at the AIGA meeting.
I forgot to give you my email address so that you could email me tonight's here it is:
Thank you very much and I really appreciate it.

2/16/2006 11:21:00 PM  
Anonymous amosbray said...

Unless "Dora" is an aka for "Meredith" and some kind of poem-a-clef is happening here, I'm going to respond to the actual POST. (;->

I have not cracked the code of this poem yet. Not all poems need cracking, of course, I don't mean to imply it. There are textural mysteries one may appreciate in the mouth as one appreciates oil-slick rainbows in the eye. But here I am looking for the calibration too. Trying to match the delicacies of emotion (feel) to sensory (squints, timbres) to ethics (wrong).

I almost feel I have it (!) if I say "I looked at where Meredith was..." or "I saw the place where Meredith was..." Ah, but then that's doubtless something else again and so I must continue my search for what is, not what I wish to be. -ab

2/21/2006 01:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

things i paint
things i photograph
design matters design matters poster designed by Firebelly
about me
My Photo
Location: new york city, United States

Debbie Millman has worked in the design business for over 25 years. She is President of the design division at Sterling Brands. She has been there for nearly 15 years and in that time she has worked on the redesign of global brands for Pepsi, Procter & Gamble, Campbell’s, Colgate, Nestle and Hasbro. Prior to Sterling, she was a Senior Vice President at Interbrand and a Marketing Director at Frankfurt Balkind. Debbie is President of the AIGA, the largest professional association for design. She is a contributing editor at Print Magazine, a design writer at and Brand New and Chair of the Masters in Branding Program at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. In 2005, she began hosting the first weekly radio talk show about design on the Internet. The show is titled “Design Matters with Debbie Millman” and it is now featured on In addition to “Look Both Ways: Illustrated Essays on the Intersection of Life and Design,” (HOW Books, 2009, she is the author of "How To Think Like A Great Graphic Designer" (Allworth Press, 2007) and “The Essential Principles of Graphic Design” (Rotovision, 2008).

things i do those i thank things i like current playlist